Friday

Inspire me Friday! - Food Photography From Lolo of Vegan Yum Yum

I absolutely LOVE to cook. I'm not into "simple" - although cooking w/ fresh is a lot more simple then most people think. I love fresh herbs, pan sauces and garnishing everything!! My kids breakfast, lunch and dinner often comes beautifully plated with garnish. I'm just odd like that. Often I make something that is absolutely beautiful (if I do say so myself) and so I make everyone wait till it's pretty much cold while I run off tp snatch my camera. The unfortunate part is that I'm usually less then thrilled with the outcome. For being a solitary object, I've been very surprised to find that food photography is very challenging for me! That where this post comes in! Recently I came across a fantastic blog called Vegan Yum Yum. The author Lolo says, " I’m not a chef, I’ve never been to culinary school, and I’m certainly not a professional photographer. I have a lot of fun pretending, though!" Well she is a master pretender, because her food photography and her creations are just fabulous. Whether your strict vegan or a hardy carnivore - she makes these dishes look so tasty you'll be dying to try one yourself!

I took some of my personal favorite ideas and posted them below, to read the entire post go HERE.

Plating

The right dish really sets the overall look for the photo. Everytime I’m in a store that sells dishes, I pick up one or two of something I find interesting. You don’t need a full set.
Some general tips:
1. White will always, always work.
2. Square dishes always look classy.3. Smaller is better — small dishes are easier to fill up with food, which prevents your plate from looking bare.




Plan Ahead

Do as much as you possibly can ahead of time. Food should be photographed as soon as possible after preparing, which means you’ll need a space for

photographing ready to go, an uncluttered kitchen, etc. Here’s what I do before I start cooking:

1. Clean up, do all the dishes, clear countertops
2. Pick out dishes3. Set camera up on tripod, pick out background
4. Clear your photography space
5. Think about the dish: do you need a garnish? Special utensils? Placemat?

Prepping all your ingredients neatly will keep your kitchen more organized, cut down on cooking time, and allow you to focus on the task at hand. And mise en place photographs make for killer filler photos, as well!

Simple Setups, Natural Light

You don’t need to invest in lots of studio equipment to get great images. The very best lighting you can get is free, and it’s coming through your windows every day. Here’s a shot of my “studio”: A table, next to a window. Done! Well, almost. Since I shoot with natural light only, a lot of times it’s slightly too dark to hand-hold my camera and get a clear image. Use a tripod and you’ll be amazed at how much better your photos get, especially with PnS

cameras. Even balancing your camera on a can of tomatoes or a pile of books can save a shot. Tripods very drastically in price, but I have a cheap $30 that has done the trick for well over a year now.



Behind the Scenes

There are lots of ways you can make backgrounds for your food shots. My favorite backgrounds are just simple 20×30″ foam-core boards that I spray painted on my porch, a different color on each side.

I love these because they’re cheap, easy to make and customize, easy to store, and fairly durable. I once bought this kit that comes with colored paper, but soon realized the paper gets destroyed after a few uses: it tears, it gets ugly creases in it, and if you spill anything on it at all it’s ruined. The big foam-core boards, on the other hand, wipe clean and don’t bend, and if you do ruin them they’re easy to replace.

As you can see in the photo to the left, they’re easy to swap in and out during a shoot. You can try all different colors before picking the right one for the dish you’re photographing.

One tip: buy matte finish spray paint – glossy paint will cause unsightly glares in your photos.

I start out photographing the process of the recipe–chopping, special techniques, assembly, etc. Once the dish is done and plated, I’ll take some “basic” shots which help me establish the lighting, background, what props/garnishes are needed, positioning of the food, etc. I gradually work my way towards a photograph that feels complete to me, making sure to get all different angles. I try overhead, straight on, close up, environment shots, and many different angles. My photographs start out boring and move towards interesting as I shoot. It’s hard to explain how I plate or frame, but it involves a lot of photos and looking at each photo and saying, “Hmm, the image looks too bare” or “I need to figure out how to emphasize this particular quality of the dish.” As I said before, the more photos you take, the better chance you have of getting that perfect shot.

Here are two answers I found on her blog that I know you will be wondering about:

What kind of camera do you use?
I use a Canon EOS 30D; any photos taken after June 2007 use the 30D. Before that, I used a Canon Rebel XTi, and way back when I first started I useda point-and-shoot Sony cybershot. With the Canon cameras, I use two lenses: Canon EFS 60mm/2.8F Macro and Canon USM 50mm/1.4f. If you’re really curious as to what camera/lens combination I used for a particular photo, click on the photo. You’ll be taken to my flickr page. If you click the “more properties” link on the bottom right of the screen you can see all the juicy technical data for that picture.

How do you get such nice photos? Any tips?
Practice, forethought, and a few easy tricks. I use colored backgrounds (spray painted foam boards or large sheets of construction paper), and take care to use natural light. I buy a fun dish or two whenever I go to Target. I think about what the setting should look like, how I’ll plate the food, and what colors w
ould go nicely with it before I even start cooking. I don’t have a studio, so all the food you see is made by me in my kitchen, placed next to the window, photographed, then eaten. I use a tripod (never a flash!) and shoot a LOT of photos. I’d say that I take over 100 for every blog post you see, and then I delete the vast majority during the editing process. I use Adobe Lightroom for corrections (cropping, color boots, contrast, white balance, etc). I have a simple rule: if I don’t have a good photo of it, it doesn’t go on the blog. Period.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

So helpful, right!!? I want to go whip something up right now just to photograph it! Once again, to read the entire post from Vegan Yum Yum go HERE. So yesterday we talked about filler food for your blog to keep people coming back and today we've been inspired by Lolo's incredible, edible art.

Here's a hint for Monday's Homework assignment: Go use it! Food, decorations, landscapes - whatever it may be. We want to see your filler food posts!

3 comments:

  1. Just stopping in for a second (although I wish it were for hours and hours) and only got through a few of your most recent posts (sheesh girl, you update this baby a lot!) and wanted to let you know how impressed I am by all your great tips and talent. I just recently became a "follower" and can't wait to back-track through all your great posts (most likely when I get back home from all the Holiday festivities)! Just wanted to express appreciation and tell you "Way To Go"! :)
    Oh! and I'm SO BUMMED I missed out on your most recent give-away....ugh!!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and i were just talking about taking food pics about 2 hours ago. Crazy, then I open your post. Very cool. Thanks!

    http://jillknightphotography.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Great pictures!!!! Very cool to read!!!

    ReplyDelete